Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 27 Apr 2019

Jason Oswell and Nicky Deverdics both scored their first goals of the season as a much-changed Wrexham side came from behind to beat Harrogate Town.

Mark Beck fired the visitors in front, but Oswell levelled and Christian Dibble saved Jack Muldoon’s penalty on the stroke of half-time.

Substitute Deverdics then scored the winner, with the result lifting Wrexham into fourth place and a home play-off with Eastleigh on Thursday night.

Bryan Hughes handed a full debut to youth team captain Matty Sargent, while Dibble, Doug Tharme, Kemy Agustien and Anthony Spyrou were among the other players brought in.

In wet and windy conditions, there was little to report until Beck broke the deadlock on 11 minutes.

The Wrexham defence failed to clear a corner and the big striker turned Kevin Roberts and fired high into the net from six yards.

As the Dragons looked to hit back in tricky conditions, Rutherford found space on his left-foot on 18 minutes but his shot was deflected wide.

From the resultant inswinging Luke Summerfield corner, Oswell got up at the back post but his header was blocked.

Spyrou then met James Jennings’ left-wing cross on 23 minutes, but his looping header was easy for Joe Cracknell to gather.

Muldoon drove forward for Harrogate on 40 minutes, after winning possession on halfway, but Dibble saved his low, skidding shot.

Oswell headed in the equaliser on 42 minutes, however, meeting Paul Rutherford’s cross with a powerful near-post effort which Cracknell got a hand to but could not keep out.

Beck almost restored Harrogate’s lead within a minute, but his stooping header clipped the bar and bounced over.

Agustien was then judged to have fouled Muldoon in the area, but the Harrogate man failed to take advantage – Dibble diving to his left to parry the subsequent penalty clear on the stroke of half-time.

Nicky Deverdics replaced Luke Summerfield at the interval, but with Wrexham now playing against the wind, the visitors were on top at the start of the second-half.

George Thomson went closest on 50 minutes, but Dibble was alive to his low shot to save low at his near post.

At the other end, Oswell met Deverdics’ long free-kick with a glancing header on 54 minutes, which bounced awkwardly for Cracknell who could only parry wide.

Rutherford then crossed right-footed for Spyrou on 58 minutes, but the Norwich loanee’s header deflected over.

From the corner, Harrogate counter-attacked and Muldoon teed up Aaron Williams but Tharme blocked well.

Deverdics fired Wrexham in front on 80 minutes, however – coolly side-footing in from Mark Carrington’s perfectly-weighted cross after Rutherford’s clever flick released him.

Jack Thorn came on for his Wrexham debut on 84 minutes to make it three youth graduates on the pitch for the Dragons.

Muldoon should have done better on 87 minutes, however, when he headed straight at Dibble from Thomson’s right-wing cross.

And Harrogate were to rue those late misses, as Wrexham ran the clock down in the corner to ensure they finish the regular season in fourth place.

Wrexham (4-3-3): Dibble; Carrington, Roberts, Tharme, Jennings; Agustien, Sargent, Summerfield (Deverdics 46); Rutherford, Oswell (Stockton 78), Spyrou (Thorn 84).

Subs: Simpson, Wright

Harrogate Town (3-4-1-2): Cracknell; Lees, Langmead, Kitching; Thomson, Agnew, Woods, Leesley; Williams; Muldoon, Beck

Subs: Belshaw, Falkingham, Howe, Burrell, Thewlis


Wrexham: Agustien 45
Harrogate Town: Agnew 77

Referee: Joe Hull

Attendance: 3,690

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube