Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 11 Aug 2018

Jordan Maguire-Drew and Rekeil Pyke both scored their first Wrexham goals as the Dragons beat last year’s beaten play-off finalists Boreham Wood 3-0 in front of the BT Sport cameras.

After a goalless draw in Sam Ricketts’ first home league game in mid-week, Maguire-Drew, Pyke and Mike Fondop all netted at the Racecourse to earn Ricketts’ first home win.

At the other end, Rob Lainton pulled off a string of fine saves as Wrexham earned a third consecutive clean sheet to make it seven points from the first three games of the season.

Ricketts made just one change from the team which started against Fylde, with Stuart Beavon in for Paul Rutherford.

And it was Beavon who went close to giving Wrexham the lead in just the second minute – his glancing header from Mike Fondop’s left-footed cross flashing wide across goal.

At the other end, Justin Shaibu could not capitalise on Shaun Pearson’s missed interception on eight minutes, firing well over with only Rob Lainton to beat.

Boreham Wood threatened from set pieces, with on-loan striker Joshua Umerah twice heading over from corners midway through the half.

But Maguire-Drew headed the Dragons in front on 26 minutes, meeting James Jennings’ superb cross at the back post to nod in off the upright.

Umerah should have levelled just two minutes later, after a loose header at the back, but Lainton’s brilliant reflex save kept Wrexham in front.

Wrexham were forced into their first change on 38 minutes, when Luke Young hobbled off to be replaced by Rutherford.

A minute later, Umerah had another chance for Boreham Wood after catching Akil Wright in possession, but his left-footed shot did not trouble Lainton’s goal.

Mark Carrington replaced Kevin Roberts at half-time, slotting straight in at right-back, but it was down the left Wrexham launched their first attack of the second-half.

A brilliant counter-attack on 49 minutes ended with Beavon’s low cross being blocked before the ball was worked to Maguire-Drew, who shot over from inside the area.

At the other end, Shaibu got in behind the Dragons’ defence on 54 minutes but Lainton was out quick and saved low to his left.

Ricketts made his final change in the 58th minute, as Pyke replaced Beavon, and Wrexham began to pile the pressure on in search of a second.

Fondop turned and shot straight at Boreham Wood keeper Ellery Balcombe on 61 minutes, while Maguire-Drew’s free-kick – won himself after a mazy run – was also saved three minutes later.

Pyke doubled the advantage on 67 minutes though, bundling in from close-range following a goalmouth scramble after Pearson’s goal-bound header was cleared off the line.

Ricky Shakes almost pulled one back three minutes later but again Lainton came to Wrexham’s rescue – tipping his fierce long-range shot onto the upright.

And Fondop sealed victory with five minutes remaining, heading in his second of the season from close-range from Pyke’s hanging cross.

Wrexham: (4-1-2-3): Lainton, Roberts (Carrington 46), Smith, Pearson, Jennings, Wright, Summerfield, Young (Rutherford 38), Maguire-Drew, Fondop, Beavon (Pyke 58).
Subs not used: Dibble, Tharme.

Boreham Wood: (3-4-1-2): Balcombe, Champion, Stephens, Parry, Woodwards (Shakes 51), Murtagh, Ricketts, Ilesanmi, Balanta, Umerah (Ash 78), Shaibu (Smith 78).
Subs not used: Fyfield, Thomas.

Referee: Joe Johnson (Liverpool)
Attendance: 4,356
Away: TBC

Bookings -
Wrexham: none
Boreham Wood: none

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube