Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 15 Dec 2018

Boston United had an unhappy return to the Racecourse as they fell to a three-nil defeat to Wrexham in the first round of the FA Trophy.

Freezing conditions and driving rain at the Racecourse didn't hold back the Dragons, as first half goals from Chris Holroyd, Mike Fondop and Paul Rutherford ensured Wrexham would play in the second round.

Wrexham could hardly have asked for a better start, as one minute in Chris Holroyd slotted the ball past George Willis from close in. A driven ball across the face of goal from Rutherford was latched onto by Holroyd, who knocked it home from point blank range.

Things got worse for the Pilgrims as Wrexham doubled their lead ten minutes in, courtesy of Mike Fondop. The number nine executed a quick turn just outside the area and poked a low ball past the stationary Boston keeper.

As the half progressed, Boston began to grow into the game, set pieces especially proving dangerous to Wrexham.

It proved to be a false dawn for Boston though, as 32 minutes in Wrexham scored their third of the game. Paul Rutherford latched onto an excellent through ball from Nicky Deverdics and one on one with the keeper, neatly placed the ball into the bottom left corner.

In a second half lacking in excitement and quality, perhaps owing to the persistent and heavy rain, whch combined for the declining pitch quality, James Jennings threatened to making things interesting 72 minutes in by firing a 30-yard shot at the Boston goal, forcing Willis into a leaping save.

There was though a debut for youth midfielder Matt Sargent with five minutes remaining, but frustration for fellow Scholar Jack Thorn who was up and ready to also make his debut, but the ball refused to go out of play and when it finally did, the referee ended proceedings!

Fondop had the last kick of the game, with a curling effort being saved by Willis.

Wrexham: Dibble, Jennings, Summerfield, Fondop, Holroyd, Carrington (C), Rutherford (Sargent 85), Walker, Deverdics, Wright, Lawlor.
Subs: Lainton, Beavon, Thorn, Grant.

Boston United: Willis (C), Davies, Jackson, Thanoj, Harris, Qualter, Wright (Rollins 77), Abbott, Allott (Slew 72), Agnew, Walker (Gibbens 57).
Subs: Malkowski, Wafula.

Referee: Simon Mather (Gtr Manchester)
Attendance: 1,083
Away: 80

Bookings -
None for either team

MOTM | Paul Rutherford

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube