REPORT | Wrexham 3-3 Yeovil Town

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 23 Nov 2019

Paul Rutherford scored a screamer for Wrexham at home to Yeovil, but Rhys Murphy’s hat-trick ensured a share of the spoils in a six-goal thriller.

Murphy twice put Yeovil in front in the first-half, only for Akil Wright and Rutherford to each score equalising goals.

Bobby Grant then put Wrexham in front just after the restart, but Murphy’s third of the game ensured a share of the spoils as Grant missed a gilt-edged chance to win it in stoppage time.

Dean Keates made just once change to the starting XI from the narrow FA Cup first round replay defeat at Rochdale – loanee Tyler Reid starting in place of  the virus hit James Jennings.

Reid was one of three loan signings confirmed this week, with Omari Patrick and the returning Kieran Kennedy on the bench.

Wrexham got off to the worst possible start though – nobody dealing with a long through ball in the third minute, from which Jimmy Smith squared for Murphy to open the scoring.

As the Dragons sought a response, Grant chested Reid’s long ball down on nine minutes and beat Yeovil keeper Stuart Nelson wide of the area, but the visitors cleared as he prodded it goalwards.

A low cross then spun clear to Ben Tollitt in space on the edge of the box on 13 minutes, but he was always leaning back as he shot well over.

Tollitt set up Wright’s equaliser on 22 minutes, however – battling well to recover from a poor touch, before cutting inside and pulling back for the midfielder to side-foot in.

Yeovil responded well, however, and took an important block from Mark Carrington to deny Jimmy Smith on 25 minutes after a cross drifted to him at the back post.

With Reid off the pitch receiving treatment on the half-hour, Murphy then missed a gilt-edged chance to restore Yeovil’s lead – firing over from close range.

Reid returned to the pitch, but he was forced off on 33 minutes – Kennedy replacing him, for his first Racecourse appearance since last years play-offs.

Yeovil were also forced into an early change, when Albi Skendi replaced injured centre-back Luke Wilkinson in the 36th minute.

Skendi’s through ball led to Yeovil’s second goal two minutes later, as he released Smith to square for Murphy to tap-in once again.

Rutherford’s screamer brought Wrexham level again on 44 minutes, however – Lainton’s long ball dropping for the winger to take a touch and fire left-footed into the top corner from 25 yards.

The two injuries meant six minutes of stoppage time, and Smith fired wide from distance in the first of those.

It was all square at half-time, but Wrexham took just two minutes to take the lead after the restart. Jake Lawlor kept the ball alive from a corner into the middle, and Grant poked in from close-range to put the Dragons in front for the first time.

Murphy completed his hat-trick on 66 minutes, however – firing in from close range when Shaun Pearson, at full stretch, could not clear a loose ball.

Wrexham responded by introducing Patrick for his debut in place of Tollitt with 20 minutes remaining.

Murphy fancied his chances of a fourth when a long ball was allowed to drop in the Wrexham half on 74 minutes, but his attempted lob was well over.

Lawlor then saved Wrexham on 86 minutes – Lainton came out of the area to clear a through ball, but it hit Courtney Duffus, whose shot Lawlor cleared off the line.

Summerfield then fired wide across goal for Wrexham on 88 minutes, after Grant was beaten in the air to Kennedy’s right-wing throw-in.

Wrexham rallied in stoppage time, and Summerfield played Rutherford in on 91 minutes, but Nelson – who had come for the ball and retreated – managed to deflect his shot wide.

A minute later Pearson kept a long ball in by hooking it inside to Grant but, with only the keeper to beat from close-range, he volleyed over.

Patrick then cut inside in the 94th minute and shot from distance, but Nelson parried clear as the Dragons were left to contemplate what might have been.

Wrexham: (4-3-3): Lainton, Reid (Kennedy 33), Pearson, Lawlor, Carrington, Wright, Young, Summerfield, Tollitt (Patrick 70), Grant, Rutherford.
Subs not used: Dibble, Redmond, Harris.

Yeovil Town: (4-3-3): Nelson, Hutton (Dagnall 66), Wilkinson (Skendi 36), Collins, Bradbury, D’Ath, Lee, Tilley, Smith (Duffus 85), Murphy, Hippolyte.
Subs not used: Jones, Omotayo.

Referee: Sam Barrott (West Yorks)
Attendance: 3,583
Away: 171

Bookings -
Wrexham: Rutherford (60, foul), Pearson (90+4, foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube