REPORT | Wrexham AFC 4-0 Sutton United

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 24 Nov 2020

Kwame Thomas scored twice and set up a third as Wrexham ran riot at home to Sutton United to record a third straight win.

Thomas broke the deadlock before the break, before a Ben Goodliffe own goal doubled the advantage.

Thomas’ challenge then led to Adi Yussuf turning and firing in a third before Thomas pounced on Goodliffe’s error to add his second of the game.

Wrexham stuck with an unchanged starting XI for the third consecutive match, though there was a boost on the bench with Anthony Jeffrey back from injury.

It meant Jordan Ponticelli partnering Thomas up front and the striker was lively early on – making up for a poor pass by winning back possession on the byline – but his cross was cleared.

Sutton settled quicker, however, and after a run of attacking possession, Omar Bugiel headed wide at the near post on 16 minutes.

The visitors continued to look the more threatening but Theo Vassell put in a number of key interceptions to keep the scores level.

And Wrexham took full advantage, when Thomas fired in his first goal at the Racecourse on 28 minutes.

Paul Rutherford got in behind the defence and pulled a low cross into the area, which Thomas steered high into the net with his left foot.

Thomas then nearly doubled the lead on 34 minutes, laying Durrell’s well-weighted pass into Jamie Reckord and, when his cross was clear, firing a first-time effort which thundered clear off the bar.

With Wrexham growing into the game, Durrell then cut inside his man after a poor defensive pass on 37 minutes but dragged a low right-footed shot wide.

Sutton almost levelled on 41 minutes, when Louis John powered in a header which clipped the Wrexham bar – referee Steve Copeland giving a corner despite Rob Lainton’s protests.

Wrexham cleared the danger though, and doubled the advantage on 43 minutes, albeit slightly fortunately.

Durrell’s low, left-wing free-kick caught the Sutton defence out and Goodliffe appeared to get the final touch as the ball deflected into the net.

The half-time whistle slowed any momentum Wrexham had, and Sutton’s double change ten minutes in sparked a bright spell for the visitors.

Isaac Olaofe and Kenny Davis came on, but it was Harry Beautyman who came inside on 59 minutes and forced a near-post save from Lainton.

David Ajiboye then shot over on 64 minutes and Beautyman should have done better from Bugiel’s cut-back moments later but shot straight at Lainton.

Rob Milsom then blazed over from a free-kick on the very edge of the Wrexham penalty area on 69 minutes.

Wrexham took full advantage of Sutton’s profligacy, however, when Thomas challenged and well and Yussuf turned on to his left foot and fired in the third goal on 71 minutes.

And there was still time for Thomas to cap a fine performance with his second goal of the evening, pouncing on Goodliffe’s error.

The defender’s poor header looped in the air in the penalty box and Thomas beat Bouzanis to the loose ball to head in on 78 minutes.

All that remained was for the Reds to stand firm at the other end for a fourth straight clean sheet to cap a brilliant win under the Racecourse floodlights.

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube