Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 15 Sep 2018

Chris Holroyd scored his first goal of the season as second-placed Wrexham hit four in a first-half blitz on their way to a 4-1 home win against Ebbsfleet United.

Holroyd opened the scoring, and Stuart Beavon, Rekeil Pyke and captain Shaun Pearson also scored as the Dragons blew the visitors away in a dominant first-half.

Danny Kedwell pulled one back for the visitors shortly after the break, but it proved nothing more than a consolation as Wrexham made it seven wins from 11 games this season.

Having enjoyed a rare full week between fixtures since the win at Braintree, Sam Ricketts made three changes to the Wrexham line-up, including Holroyd starting up front in place of Mike Fondop.

Jordan Maguire-Drew and Luke Young also dropped to the bench, as Paul Rutherford and Pyke returned to the starting line-up.

And the changes paid off just five minutes in, when Holroyd raced onto Rutherford’s through ball, cut inside onto his right-foot and finished low into the corner.

Wrexham then doubled the lead on 12 minutes, when Pyke ran on to Kevin Roberts’ long ball, showed good strength to get to the byline, and pulled back for Beavon to convert from close range.

The roles were reversed when Pyke added the third in the 20th minute, backheeling in to cap a lovely team move after Rutherford fed Beavon to cross low from the right.

A rare blemish on Wrexham’s first-half was James Jennings’ booking on 36 minutes, though, for a rash tackle on Ebou Adams – who was substituted for tactical reasons just moments later as Ebbsfleet reshuffled.

Luke Coulson then shot well over from the edge of box after finding space on 42 minutes, in a rare Ebbsfleet attack.

Wrexham almost made it four on the stroke of half-time, however, when Pyke kept the ball alive on the right and crossed for Beavon, whose low shot was blocked by Kenny Clark.

But the fourth did arrive in first-half stoppage time, when Pearson headed in at the back post from Luke Summerfield’s free-kick.

Ebbsfleet pulled one back three minutes into the second half, when Kedwell got up to head in from Myles Weston’s whipped left-wing cross.

Wrexham were then forced into the first change on 57 minutes, when Summerfield suffered a head injury after a rough aerial challenge by Dean Rance – Akil Wright replacing him.

Wright was in the action immediately too, following in to shoot when the resultant free-kick was cleared, which – after Pyke’s touch – went over.

Ebbsfleet’s biggest threat came from corners as the half wore on, which Wrexham dealt with well.

Chances dried up at the other end too, though Beavon did spot Nathan Ashmore off his line on 73 minutes but could not get hold of his speculative 45-yard shot.

Young replaced Pyke shortly afterwards, and Holroyd made way for Fondop with nine minutes remaining – the big striker dragging his first shot wide on 85 minutes.

There were to be no further goals though, as the referee’s whistle sealed Wrexham’s biggest win of the season so far.

Wrexham AFC: (4-3-3): Lainton, Roberts, Pearson, Lawlor, Jennings, Summerfield (Wright 57), Walker, Rutherford, Beavon, Holroyd (Fondop 81), Pyke (Young 75).
Subs: Dibble, Maguire-Drew.

Ebbsfleet United: (4-3-3): Ashmore, Magri, Clark, King, Weston, Adams (Bush 37), Rance, Drury, Whitely, Kedwell (Kedwell 82), Coulson (Cheek 82).
Subs: McQueen, Shields.

Referee: Daniel Middleton (Derbyshire)
Attendance: 4,718
Away: 92

Bookings -
Jennings (36, foul)
Ebbsfleet United: Magri (25, foul), Rance (55, foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube