REPORT | Yeovil Town 0-1 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 10 Oct 2020

Wrexham bounced back from Tuesday's disappointment with an excellent first victory over Yeovil.

Dean Keates made one change, bringing Anthony Jeffrey in for Jake Bickerstaff, and the move paid off as Jeffrey played a key role before going off injured.

The first half could hardly have gone better for Keates' men, with the only moment of threat from Yeovil coming when Warburton had a shout for a penalty, claiming he'd been held when trying to attack a Charlie Lee long throw.

Wrexham completely dominated the first half hour, and could have gone ahead as early as the 4th minute, when Anthony Jeffrey spread play to Reece Hall-Johnson. The full back, looking to replicate his debut goal last Saturday, galloped onto the ball and lashed in a 20-yard shot with Adam Smith had to parry for a corner.

The breakthrough wasn't long in coming though. Wrexham won the ball back on the right corner of the Yeovil box, and Hall-Johnson's driven cross was tapped in at the far post by a stretching Kwame Thomas.

A second goal looked inevitable as Wrexham's pressing forced Yeovil into a succession of errors as they tried to pass their way out from the back. Jeffrey, switched to the right flank, was a valuable asset as the visitors consistently sprang pacy counter-attacks, and it was from his cross that Thomas planted a powerful header wide from 15 yards.

Within a minute Yeovil were clinging on again: Young's shot was blocked and Jeffrey, cutting in from the flank, drove a speculative shot into the side-netting.

As the half reached its midway point, Wrexham continued to threaten, creating two good chances in close succession. First Jordan Davies sparked an attack with an excellent switch to Jeffrey. His cross was laid off by Rutherford to Harris, whose shot was blocked from the edge of the area. Davies picked up the loose ball on the left and beat two men before firing a tempting ball across the face of goal, but nobody could reach it.

Moments later, a terrific combination between Jamie Reckord, Harris and Rutherford sent the left back scampering in behind the defence, and his driven cross was only denied by an excellent last ditch challenge from Lee Collins.

Unfortunately for Wrexham, they lost the influential Jeffrey when he appeared to pull a muscle while running down the flank. Frustratingly, it was nearly five minutes before Wrexham could replace him, despite Jeffrey's treatment provoking an impromptu drinks break.

That period with an extra man, which meant Wrexham were unable to send bodies into Yeovil's half to press, allowed the home side back into the match, although they created nothing of note before the break.

Indeed, in the three minutes of added time Wrexham could have given the scoreline a look which reflected more accurately the run of play: A Davies free kick into the box bounced off Kelleher and, in the scramble which followed, Vassell's close range shot appeared to be blocked by a team mate before Durrell lashed the rebound wide from 20 yards.

Yeovil had scored in the opening minute of the second half in both their games this season, and if Fiacre Kelleher had not made an astute header in the goalmouth they might have maintained their record. With the wind now favouring them, The Glovers improved in a more even second half.

Still, Wrexham carved out the more noteworthy chances. When Rutherford couldn't control an excellent clip by Durrell to the edge of the area, Durrell followed his own pass and toe-poked a powerful shot from the edge of the area which drew an excellent one-handed save from Smith.

Then Luke Young tested the goalkeeper from similar range, controlling a poor clearance and lashing in a shot which was too close to Smith.

Soon afterwards Jamie Reckord might have got in on the act, not wuite managing to bring a return pass from Young under control as he bore down on goal.

Yeovil made a double change before the hour and changed their shape, and immediately enjoyed their most threatening spell of the match.

Worthington's impressive 25-yard half volley whistled just over, a fortuitous deflection from the restart nearly put Albi Skendli clear, but Hall-Johnson made a terrific tackle, and from the resulting long throw, Lainton had to be alert to turn the ball round the post.

As the game approached the final ten minutes, Yeovil wound themselves up for a final charge. Kelleher's excellent clearing header was picked up by the centre back Collins, who sent over a delectable cross which Lee couldn't head on target.

Jordan Ponticelli  came on for Davies in an attempt to take the game back to Yeovil, and his threat on the break nearly led to a second goal when Wrexham broke swiftly from yet another long Lee throw. Ponticelli slid the perfect through ball to Rutherford but, one-on-one with the keeper, his first touch was poor and faced with a tight angle, he was unable to beat Smith.

In added time Yeovil, with a centre back now adding to their forwards, desperately pumped long balls into Wrexham's box, but the defence coped admirably. Lee headed a Rogers corner over before, with less then two of the five added minutes left, Yeovil carved out their best chance of the match: a far post cross was squeezed back into the goalmouth by Courtney Duffus, and Murphy shot into the side-netting from 8 yards out.

An equaliser would have been cruel though: Wrexham had dominated the first half and were also threatening in the second. A first clean sheet of the season and three points, were a well-earned reward.

Yeovil Town: A Smith; Leadbitter, Wilkinson, Collins, Dickinson (Burke 58); Skendi, Lee, Worthington, J Smith (Duffus 58); Warburton (Rogers 73), Murphy.
Unused subs: Staunton, D'Ath. 

Wrexham: Lainton; Hall-Johnson, Kelleher, Vassell, Reckord; Davies (Ponticelli 78), Young, Harris; Jeffrey (Durrell 40), Thomas, Rutherford.
Unused subs: Dibble, Carrington, Jarvis.

Referee: Scott Jackson (Royal Navy)

Bookings -
Yeovil Town: Collins (45+1, foul), Sarrl (62, dissent), Burke (87, foul), Wilkinson (88, dissent)
Wrexham: Kelleher (42, foul), Harris (59, foul), Lainton (90+1, time wasting)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube