REPORT | Yeovil Town 3-0 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 29 Feb 2020

Yeovil were the better of the two sides on the day, but this game was decided by a bizarre incident in the final minute of the first half and then a spectacular free kick 11 minutes after the break, before the home side added a third deep into injury time.

The first goal set us on the path to defeat and while Rob Lainton will feel he was being impeded when trying to kick the ball out of his hands, the whistle had not sounded and dropping the ball at the feet of a Yeovil player only invited them to score – at a point when the game wasn’t really going anywhere.

It was a day when chances were at a premium and the Reds, in particular, didn’t performance to anywhere near the level they showed at Bromley a week earlier.

A Wrexham free kick on eight minutes saw the ball dropped into the Yeovil box and when it came off the head of Shaun Pearson, it fell amongst bodies with Kieran Kennedy the first to swing a boot at it, but keeper Liam O’Brien was square behind the effort from 12-yards.

On 13 minutes, Jay Harris was fouled inside his own half, but from the restart looked to replicate his assist at Chesterfield for our first goal. Hitting a 40-yard pass over the home defence for Jordan Ponticelli to chase, the striker getting a first touch to the ball, but O’Brien had spotted the danger and was quickly out to clear.

As the rain tippled down on Huish Park again, a cross field pass was aimed at Charlie Lee, who won his header from beyond the back post, but only found the side netting for Yeovil.

The game was halted on 20 minutes with home keeper O’Brien lying at the edge of his area, holding his head and after treatment a stretcher was called to take him from the field. There wasn’t anyone close to him at the time and he just seemed to fall to the ground.

A few minutes later, he was replaced by Stuart Nelson.

With 26 minutes on the clock, another dangerous cross from right back Remeao Hutton saw Marc Richards dive in at the near post, but under pressure from Pearson, he could only knock it behind for a goal kick.

From a corner a minute later, Luke Wilkinson did head the ball into the net, but the whistle went for a foul as the big Yeovil Town centre half jumped for the ball.

Wilkinson was on the end of another Yeovil corner on the half hour, as the ball skimmed off several players in the middle of the goal, but he could only direct his shot into the side netting.

With 40 minutes on the clock, Wrexham pinned the Gloves back in their half and with the home struggling to clear, Davis Keillor-Dunn burst through the middle and forced a low save from keeper Nelson.

A surreal moment occurred on 44 minutes to gift Yeovil the lead, as Rob Lainton seemed to be complaining that the attention of Courtney Duffus was stopping him kicking the ball from his hands. To make his point, the keeper dropped the ball to the ground, allowing the home player to kick it home from 18-yards and with the referee happy that no offence had occurred, awarded the goal!

It was stunning incident and despite the complaints of those wearing red, the goal stood.

In the fifth minute of added time at the end of the first half, a Yeovil attack saw James Smith fire a low shot into the Wrexham goalmouth, but the ball was deflected away before the interval whistle sounded.

Ht 1-0

A change at the break saw Jason Oswell replace Dan Jarvis.

A Carl Dickinson corner on 52 minutes, forced Lainton to his back post to tip the cross behind for another corner. The second back in carried too deep and drifted harmlessly for a goal kick.

This was a precursor to Yeovil’s second goal on 56 minutes, when Wilkinson spectacularly fired in a free kick from at least 25-yards – giving the diving Lainton no chance.

A swift interchange of passes between Keillor-Dunn and Thompson, saw the former try his luck from outside the box, but he got too much underneath the effort and it carried over the home terraces.

Duffus was booked for a foul on Pearson with 61 minutes played, coming shortly after the same player had once again stood in Lainton’s path as the keeper was looking to kick out of his hands.

Jake Lawlor came to Wrexham’s rescue on 75 minutes, when a deflection saw the Ball fall kindly for Duffus with plenty of the goal to aim at from 12-yards, but the defender got across and blocked the effort.

On 80 minutes, there was a debut for Tyler Barker, as he replaced skipper Shaun Pearson.

Shortly after the appearance of Chris Dagnall for Yeovil, Barker and Keillor-Dunn combined to set up the latter for a rasping drive from the edge of the box, which flew inches wide of Nelson’s left-hand post.

Deep into added time, Duffus saw his shot come back off a post and Albi Skendi was on hand to finish off from close range, to condemn Wrexham to a second defeat in two visits to Huish Park.

Yeovil Town: O’Brien (Nelson 23), Hutton, Collins, Wilkinson, Dickinson, Lee (Cooper 90), Skendi, Worthington, Smith, Duffus, Richards (Dagnall 85).
Subs: Richards, Rogers.

Wrexham: Lainton, Thompson, Kennedy, Pearson (Barker 80), Lawlor, Garratt, Harris, Jarvis (Oswell 46), Young, Ponticelli, Keillor-Dunn.
Subs: Dibble, Wright, Rutherford.

Referee: Steven Copeland (Merseyside)
Attendance: 3,040
Away: 288

Bookings –
Yeovil Town:
Duffus (61, foul)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube