#THROWBACKTHURSDAY | January 2012 - Wrexham 4-1 Kettering Town

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Thu 29 Mar 2018

Back for 2018 is #ThrowbackThursday! This time we've gone visual and raided the back-catalogue of club DVD's to bring you a new video every Thursday from yesteryear! 

We can't promise you a classic every week - but we can promise you a look back at some of the more unusual games! 

Wrexham 4-1 Kettering Town 

Back we go to January 2012 with Wrexham top of the league ahead of the chasing pack of Fleetwood Town, Luton Town, York City and Kidderminster Harriers. 

Then player/manager Andy Morrell took a brave decision during this match to mix it up a little bit and show faith in our young talent. 

After a Kettering sending off, Morrell withdrew himself, also other senior players Joe Clarke and Jay Harris replacing with untested youngsters Jay Colbeck, Johnny Hunt and Obi Anoruo. 

The youngsters did Morrell proud – particularly Colbeck who scored a brace and Hunt who notched up an assist for the latter. 

Marcus Kelly can be seen playing for his hometown club Kettering at left-back during this game. 

Mini Match Report 

League leaders Wrexham claimed their seventh successive league victory as they easily beat crisis club Kettering.

Glen Little's mis-hit free-kick deflected in off player-manager Andy Morrell before Mark Creighton doubled Wrexham's advantage from close range.

Kettering, who had Jean-Paul Marna sent off for two bookings, scored when Sol Davis crossed and Djoumin Sangare chested the ball and volleyed home.

Debutant James Colbeck then scored twice, a tap-in and an 18-yard shot.

The Poppies could only name two substitutes and have now not won in 13 league games.

Ashley Westwood took charge of Kettering as stand-in caretaker manager after interim boss Mark Cooper said he would not manage the team until the players were paid.

Then Wrexham manager Andy Morrell spoke to the Media Team after the game and said: "That was horrible. It was really, really hard to get the lads going, to get us up after Wednesday (the FA Cup defeat to Brighton).

"The first half was tough. We didn't pass it great. We were just tired and had a bit of a hangover.

"But we got the goal to take the lead and that sort of killed their spirit a little bit. I was glad to second goal in the second half and then I thought we were quite good." 

5 Things About Kettering Town Since 

  1. Kettering were a club in crisis at the time of the game against Wrexham. Their Rockingham Road ground had earlier been repossessed by bailiffs. The club were playing at Nene Park (13 miles away) after fellow off-field strugglers and rivals Rushden & Diamonds were expelled from the ground and the National League in June 2011. They would end up moving again to Steel Park in Corby (8 miles away) in 2012 after being unable to maintain the costs at white elephant stadium Nene Park. Another move in 2013 to Latimer Park in Burton Latimer (8 miles away) followed and this is where they ply their trade today. Nene Park was incredibly demolished in May 2017 while Rockingham Road was sadly also demolished in November 2017 to make way for housing, this despite the club trying to buy the stadium back for community use first. 
  2. After the game they would go on to finish bottom of the Conference in the 2011-12 season while in administration. They were relegated two divisions to the Premier Division of the Southern League where they ended the 2012-13 season rock bottom and relegated again. 2013-14 saw them finish 3rd in the Southern League Division One Central but they lost 2-3 in the play-off final against Slough Town. 2014-15 saw them finish top and 11 points clear ensuring promotion back to the premier division. Since they have achieved 6th in 2015-16, 9th in 2016-17 and they are currently in the play-off positions this season sitting in 4th with an 18 point buffer. 
  3. Since the game at Wrexham, Kettering have won the Southern League Division One Championship (2014-15), The Hillier Cup (2016-17) and the Maunsell Cup (2016-17). 
  4. Now Forest Green Rovers manager Mark Cooper was the interim manager four days before the match against Wrexham but would not take the dugout until Kettering players were paid. Former Wrexham captain Ashley Westwood was announced in caretaker charge for the game three days prior to the trip to North Wales. They have had five managers since with Marcus Law currently in the hot seat. 
  5. A month after the Wrexham match George Rolls took over control of the club from owner Imraan Ladak. Rolls would end up being suspended from football for five years and fined £10,000 for breaches in FA Betting Rules. Ladak sold the club in 2013 to his new chairman Richie Jeune although he has since stepped down as from the role of chairman with David Mahoney assuming this responsibility. 

The Line-Ups

Wrexham: Mayebi, Obeng, Ashton, Creighton, Harris (Colbeck 67'), Cieslewicz, Keates, Little, Knight-Percival, Clarke (Hunt 56'), Morrell (Anoruo 79')
Substitutes (not used): Maxwell, Clowes 
Kettering Town: Walker, Davis, Sangare, Ifil, Noubissie (Pryor 90+3'), Aman, Kelly, Meechan, Bridges, Marna, Mills (Ralth 81')
Substitutes (not used): N/A

Referee: Steve Bratt (West Midlands)
Attendance: 4,066

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube