Louletano DC 1-2 Wrexham
Slightly different this week as we look ahead to another summer in the Algarve sun!
Wrexham took off on a pre-season tour of Portugal for the 2017-18 warm up campaign and during the visit played against local 'Group E' side Louletano DC at the Estadio Municipal De Loule.
Wrexham marched on in the heat of Portugal to record a moral boosting success on foreign soil.
Two second half efforts from Ntumba Massanka and Leo Smith ensured a well deserved win, after the visitors had struck the home woodwork three times in the opening 45 minutes and also conceded a sucker blow right on the half time whistle.
Wrexham had an early opportunity to take the lead when the home keeper saved an initial shot by Chris Holroyd, the ball coming back out and Trialist B (Gime Touré) hit the rebound against the foot of a post.
5 Things About Louletano DC Since
- Louletano went on to win the first two games of their league season: 1-2 at Moura AC and 1-0 against Moncarapachense. After this they went on a horrible run of nine games without a win with three of those being draws.
- Their top scorer this season with 13 goals from 28 appearances was 24-year-old Uruguayan striker (wait for it!) Juan Manuel San Martin De Costa! Juan San Martin for short (or so we are told!) scored just 2 goals during 2016-17 and 5 goals during 2015-16 for the side after signing from Benfica II. He played the full second half against Wrexham last summer but could not find the net.
- Louletano's biggest win of the season came on the 8th April 2018 at the Estadio Municipal De Loule when they put away Castrense 4-1. (San Martin scored a hat-trick)
- However, the following weekend they lost 4-1 at table toppers SC Farense. Following this they did win their final league game of the season, 3-0 against Armacenenses at home.
- Louletano DC finished the campaign in 6th place out of 16 teams. They avoided relegation but only the top two sides go up from Group E. 22-year-old Brazilian midfielder Luan, who scored against Wrexham, didn't find the net during the league season and only made 3 appearances.
Louletano DC: (First Half) Bruno Lucio (Bernardo 30'), Kennedy, Carminho, Mesquita, Guilherme, Juliano, Nuno Moreira, David Vieira, Ruan, Garcia, Faria.
Second half: Bernardo (Trialist C 65'), Ruizinho (Trialist B 65'), Ricardo, Trialist A (Trialist D 65'), Rodrigo, Goncalo, Trialist E (Trialist F 65'), Morais, Alves, Orlando (Carminho 75'), San Martin
Wrexham: Dunn (Dibble 78'), Hurst, Marx, M.Smith, Jennings (Kelly 83'), Carrington, Kelly (Wedgbury 60'), Rutherford (L.Smith 68'), Wright (Mackreth 60'), Holroyd (Massanka 46'), Toure (Boden 46')
Referee: Hugo Miguel (Por)
Assistant referee: Antonio Godinho (Por)
Assistant referee: Nuno Miguel Roque Conceicão (Por)
Fourth official: Fabio Verissimo (Por)
Find out more regarding our return to Portugal during the 2018-19 pre-season campaign here.