#THROWBACKTHURSDAY | Pre-season edition | Altrincham 0-2 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Thu 05 Jul 2018

Pre-season Game Seven - July 2017

Altrincham 0-2 Wrexham

The Dragons got back to winning ways with very solid display at a more than useful looking Altrincham side, rebuilding after two successive relegations.

In the end, efforts from Marcus Kelly, a good shot after a long run before break, and Chris Holroyd’s flick header in the second half, gave the visitors the result.

Probably even more pleasing for the manager, was the response his player gave after Saturday’s dip in standards at Nantwich and the clean sheet that came with tonight’s result.

Still Massanka and Mackreth missing due to injury, but a strong looking starting side against the Alty Robins.

After some sharp exchanges in the opening minutes, Wrexham carved out the first real chance on seven minutes, when Paul Rutherford crossed in from the right and found Chris Holroyd 16-yards out for a first-time effort at was only just over the home crossbar.

Chris Dunn had to get down smartly to a John Johnston effort from distance, but it was actually deflected into the side netting. From the following corner, Altrincham had a shot blocked and the follow up blazed over the stand.

Another chance for Wrexham came on 21 minutes, when Boden, back to goal, laid off a pass for Kelly to run onto, but under pressure he scoped his effort over the bar.

A foul on Rutherford allowed Kelly to send over a hanging cross that Tony Thompson in the home goal could only flap at, but while the loose ball was collected by Boden, he was well covered and the danger passed.

Wrexham's Marcus Kelly scores a goal at Altrincham

From a Wrexham throw in on 26 minutes, Holroyd turned his marker some 25-yards from goal and although stumbling in the process, was still able to get a shot away that passed just outside the right hand upright.

On 32 minutes, the opening goal arrived and it was a solo effort by Marcus Kelly, who took the ball form the half way lane, ran at the home defence and then fired a low effort from 16-yards between defenders’ legs, before beating Thompson at his near post.

Shortly afterwards, an injury to the impressive Johnston forced him to hobble off and be replaced by Tom Peers.

The home were not afraid to push forward and one attack ended with striker James Poole firing a shot towards Dunn from distance, but the Wrexham keeper was able to watch it carry safely passed his goal.

Right on half time, good work between Holroyd and Boden saw the latter fire his effort wide.

Ht 0-1

A double switch by Dean Keates at the break as James Jennings and Leo Smith were brought on for James Hurst and Paul Rutherford respectively.

A swift Wrexham break on 54 minutes saw the ball shifted between several Wrexham players, before ending up with Jennings on the left and after he cut back inside his shot took a deflection for a corner, but even then, not passing too far wide of the left-hand post.

From a sequent corner two minutes later and Chris Holroyd was credited with the second Wrexham goal, as he rose at the near post to head home, although from our vantage point, one of the home defenders might well have been able to claim an assist.

Wrexham's Chris Holroyd on the ball at Altrincham

Roberts made way for Akil Wright just before the hour mark, as the full back continues catching up with the rest of the squad over his match fitness.

Another two Wrexham subs on 74 minutes, with Rutherford coming back on along with Olly Marx, while Manny Smith and Boden sat down.

A third goal almost came following a short corner from Jennings to Kelly on the corner of the box and the midfielder hit a deft chip that carried to the back post before striking the woodwork and coming back into play.

Skipper Shaun Pearson took a sore one late in the game and was replaced by Manny Smith.

There was still time for Alty to fire a speculative effort from distance that landed on the roof of Dunn’s net.

Altrincham: Thompson (Deasy 46), Disney (Densmore 46), Brownhill, Harrison, Jones, Moult, Johnston (Peers 36), Taylor, Amis (Omotola 58), Poole, Hulme (Hancock 66).
Subs: Short, J Wright.

Wrexham: Dunn, Hurst (Jennings 46), Roberts (A Wright 58), M Smith, (Marx 74) Pearson (M Smith 88), Wedgbury, Rutherford (L Smith 46), Carrington, Boden (Rutherford 74), Holroyd (Freeman 66), Kelly.
Subs: Dibble.

Referee: Nick Storey
Attendance: 618
Away: 300+

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube