Back for 2018 is #ThrowbackThursday! This time we've gone visual and raided the back-catalogue of club DVD's to bring you a new video every Thursday from yesteryear!
We can't promise you a classic every week - but we can promise you a look back at some of the more unusual games! The commentary on today's video was provided on the match DVD by Grimsby Town.
Grimsby Town 1-3 Wrexham
The day before this game took place on 24th September 2011 Andy Morrell had been tasked with the job as caretaker player/manager after Dean Saunders' departure to manage Doncaster Rovers.
Wrexham had started the season really well but hadn't won in three matches before their visit to Grimsby under new management.
With Saunders not in the dug-out, Moreel left himself out of the starting line-up and went with a front three of Jake Speight, Adrian Cieslewicz and Mathias Pogba.
Grimsby lined up with now Wrexham captian Shaun Pearson and former red Darran Kempson at centre-half.
Mini Match Report
Wrexham responded to the loss of boss Dean Saunders to Doncaster with an emphatic win over Grimsby to go top of the Blue Square Bet Premier.
Caretaker player-manager Andy Morrell's side took the lead through Mathias Pogba's header, before Liam Hearn levelled from outside the box.
Jay Harris scored a stunning long range effort and Lee Fowler netted with a curling effort after some excellent build-up to boost Wrexham's on-field morale.
Morrell brought himself on for the final 13 minutes at Blundell Park.
5 Things About Grimsby Town Since
- Wrexham only beat Grimsby Town twice after this game in ten contests. On penalties in the 2013 FA Trophy final at Wembley Stadium and a league game in April 2014, again at Brundell Park, 0-1, again under caretaker management. This time it was Carl Darlington in temporary charge after Kevin Wilkin's departure.
- Grimsby Town went on to finish the 2011-12 season in 11th while Wrexham finished 2nd. They would go on to become real promotion contenders after, finishing 4th in 2012-13 and 2013-14, 3rd in 2014-15 and 4th again in 2015-16.
- They were promoted to EFL League Two via the play-offs in 2016. Grimsby beat Forest Green Rovers 1-3 at Wembley in the play-off final.
- They finished 14th during their first season back in league football.
- During their promotion campaign they were again beaten in the FA Trophy final, this time by FC Halifax Town.
The Line Ups
Grimsby Town: McKeown, Ridley, Kempson, Pearson, Church, Disley, Makofo (Artus 73'), Wood, Eagle (Coulson 69'), Hearn, Elding (Duffy 83')
Substitutes (not used): I'Anson, Thanoj
Wrexham: Maxwell, Ashton, Creighton, Westwood, Harris, Cieslewicz, Fowler, Keates, Knight-Percival, Speight (Morrell 77'), Pogba
Substitutes (not used): Mayebi, Little, Tolley, Clarke
Referee: Richard West (Yorkshire)